Genealogy refers to the formal study of families and the tracing of lineages from one generation to a series of generations. The research and other processes that provide the genealogy and family history of a particular individual are collectively called family tree genealogy services.
Why do people avail of genealogy services? What exactly do people get from knowing their family tree?
Family Tree Genealogy services allow you to trace your lineage through several generations, giving you a better understanding of certain features, behaviors and other characteristics that more or less establish particular patterns that you have observed in yourself or your immediate relatives. This is particularly helpful in tracing certain physical as well as mental conditions, and quantifying probabilities of passing on or receiving any of them.
Since conditions like dyslexia, colorblindness and even bald headedness are hereditary, genealogical services can help you figure out how big of a chance you or your offspring have in terms of developing the said conditions. This kind of information is crucial when it comes to decisions in choosing a partner or decisions about having a baby. This may also help save your life by providing you a heads up before the conditions you might have inherited start manifesting.
Family Tree Genealogy services provide you with a family tree of your ancestors, enumerating the connections from one generation to the next. This genealogy and family tree contain and make use of research and information regarding the following data:
- Family Names. Family names are great markers of lineage since they remain unchanged for several generations. For as long as the males of the family bear offspring, the family name continues to pass on to the succeeding generations. Most of the time, only the females that marry and have their family names changed prove to be difficult to locate using family names.
- Given Names. First names or given names, in several cultures, used to follow certain orders. In Germany, for example, siblings used to have the same first names. This particular name can be used to establish connections between people, especially if there are uncertainties in the descent. Given names also provide clues as to where a particular individual was born or raised.
- Place Names. Important markers of lineage, place names offer vital clues in establishing the descent of certain generations. Traditionally, relatives would live closely to each other in certain areas only, so those inhabiting a particular location at a particular time may have been related to one another.
- Dates. Dates offer the timeline and the basis for tracing lineages. This is basically where the tracing starts.
- Occupations. Records of people’s occupation establish names and residences of people. They provide excellent sources of information for tracing family history because these records are kept and are well taken care of.
Lastly, family tree genealogy services provide you a deeper understanding of your roots, what your family has gone through and the different relationships that your families have established with other people. By understanding who the people in your family are and what they have done, it is easier to gain a better sense of appreciation for yourself and your family.